Sunday 29 May 2011

Rules of Engagement



This blog is intended to be a conversation toward a consensus on civilized practices, what is required to be a civilized man. A first step in this direction is to maintain a civilized discourse. This requires rules of order. As my experience in blogging develops I expect to expand and revise my rules of order but here is a first pass.

1 – Be civil. Uncivil posts will be deleted.
2 – Be on topic. Off topic comments will not necessarily be deleted but they should, at minimum, be marked as ‘OT’.
3 – Certain statements I make will be declared ‘Axiomatic’. This does not mean that I believe they are truly incontrovertible but rather that discussion and defense of these statements runs too far afield for my purposes. If you agree fine, if you don’t, state your objection but I will not be getting into long-winded philosophical arguments about them. We’ll have to agree to disagree.
4 – Cite sources. This is, of course, a conversation so citing sources cannot be mandatory but it is encouraged as these have the potential to add to the bibliography or the encyclopaedia.

As usual, should you have any additions to the list please feel free to offer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment